Well, since the easy meatloaf recipe was such a success, I decided to try it with ground turkey instead. Don't worry, I still kept my "hidden" veggies and additional spices out of it. Hmph. But using 99% lean ground turkey in this recipe makes it even more healthy, and I just like it better.
- 1 pound 99% extra lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup fat free milk (I add, as needed, and don't measure...)
- 1/2 cup Saltine cracker crumbs (I pulsed these in the food processor)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (also pulverized in the food processor)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten (I actually skipped this, this time, and it was completely un-missed. Add if you like.)
Mix all ingredients (EXCEPT MILK) together gently. Add in milk a bit at a time; the turkey and saltine crackers will absorb the milk. Keep adding, until you've reached about 1/3 of a cup, or until the mixture won't absorb much more. (Or just dump in 1/3 of a cup and call it good. I won't tell.) Form into a loaf and place in baking dish or loaf pan. Top with more ketchup if desired. (Here I topped it with half ketchup, half A1 sauce about 30 minutes into the cooking)
Bake at 350° for about 1 hour.
Serve with a bit of additional A1 sauce or ketchup.
**Note: I halved the recipe above and used 2 mini loaf pans to speed up the cooking time.
And there you have: Mom's (Healthier) Meatloaf.
Up next....my adventures in kale.